* Lighthouses, with their often lofty towers, their beacons shining into the darkened seas, their remoteness and solitary stations at the many edges of the world, have ingrained themselves in the romantic quarter of our consciousness. They are a symbol of the call home and the guide to all in search of safe harbor. This series, personally hand drawn in pen & ink by me, begins with some of the legendary lights of the East Coast of the US.
* Cape Lookout lighthouse is located at the southeastern tip of North Carolina's Outer Banks. The original tower, constructed in 1804, was replaced by the current one and first lit in 1859. The distinctive diamond pattern is the only of its kind in the US and, in addition to helping distinguish it from other nearby towers, it is designed so the centers of the black diamonds point north-south and the centers of the white diamonds point east-west.
* Large Decoupage Clam Shell. These jumbo shells range in width from 5.5" to 6.25" - thoroughly cleaned with soap and water - no chemicals used.
* Ethically Sourced. We only use shells that have washed up on beaches naturally. Their former inhabitants have moved out. We never kill or harm any animals to get their shells. We also donate a portion of our proceeds to The Marine Fish Conservation Network as a way of giving back for the abundance and beauty our oceans so generously provide.
* We package these up nice and snug so they'll arrive in tip top shape.
* Please keep in mind that each shell is unique and was once home to a little animal. Any 'imperfections' in the shell should be seen as a badge of honor of this creature's journey from the deep to your door. The pictures are examples of the patterns only. Your shell will be 100% one-of-a -kind and the only one on the planet that will look exactly like yours.
*These gorgeous shells, collected from along the Atlantic coast, have been artfully transformed into lovely objets d'art and function wonderfully as ring or trinket dishes. Each one is handmade and consists of multiple layers of pearly or white base, thin layers of paper, and multiple coats of high gloss waterproof lacquer finish. The finishing touch is a fine edging in liquid gold leaf. These have the look and feel of porcelain and the gold really shines. The back of the shell is left natural to highlight the delicate edging of the gold leaf paint. The shell fronts are coated with a waterproof protective lacquer but please don't submerge them in water or leave them exposed to water for extended periods of time. The back of the shells are still porous and will absorb water.