* Lighthouses, with their often lofty towers, their beacons shining into the darkened seas, their remoteness and solitary stations at the many edges of the world, have ingrained themselves in the romantic quarter of our consciousness. They are a symbol of the call home and the guide to all in search of safe harbor.
* Seventy miles west of Key West in the Gulf of Mexico is the Dry Tortugas, an eighty square mile area of islands, shoals, and reefs that have been the cause of many a shipwreck over the centuries. The Dry Tortugas Light was erected in 1856 by the US to curtail the number of ships lost. As Loggerhead Keys name implies, the island the lighthouse is located on is a popular nesting place for turtles as well as a favorite stopover for thousands of migratory birds.
* Large Decoupage Clam Shell. These jumbo shells range in width from 5.5" to 6.25" - thoroughly cleaned with soap and water - no chemicals used.
* Ethically Sourced. We only use shells that have washed up on beaches naturally. Their former inhabitants have moved out. We never kill or harm any animals to get their shells. We also donate a portion of our proceeds to The Marine Fish Conservation Network as a way of giving back for the abundance and beauty our oceans so generously provide.
* These usually ship same day or next and arrive ready for gifting in a cute boho gift box. A gift note can be included upon request and we can ship direct to the recipient- no receipt included.
* We package these up nice and snug so they'll arrive in tip top shape.
* Please keep in mind that each shell is unique and was once home to a little animal. Any 'imperfections' in the shell should be seen as a badge of honor of this creature's journey from the deep to your door. The pictures are examples of the patterns only. Your shell will be 100% one-of-a -kind and the only one on the planet that will look exactly like yours.
* These gorgeous shells, collected from along the Atlantic coast, have been artfully transformed into lovely objets d'art and function wonderfully as ring or trinket dishes. Each one is handmade and consists of multiple layers of pearly or white base, thin layers of paper, and multiple coats of high gloss waterproof lacquer finish. The finishing touch is a fine edging in liquid gold leaf. These have the look and feel of porcelain and the gold really shines. The back of the shell is left natural to highlight the delicate edging of the gold leaf paint. The shell fronts are coated with a waterproof protective lacquer but please don't submerge them in water or leave them exposed to water for extended periods of time. The back of the shells are still porous and will absorb water.