* These shells range in width from 3" to 4.5"
* These shells are known as Wampum Clams as they were used by many Native Tribes to make Wampum, handmade beads made from the Northern Quahog clam. These shells were highly valued and traded by different Native American Tribes, long before the first Europeans arrived and were prized for their beauty and strength.
* This piece is a part of our Legends & Lore series of decoupage wampum shells. Moby Dick, the 1851 novel by Herman Melville, follows the obsessive quest of Captain Ahab for revenge against the great white sperm whale for having bitten off his leg at the knee in a previous encounter. The great white whale symbolizes the forces of nature beyond our human urge to control or tame them. This depiction is from one of earliest publications of the novel illustrated by the American artist Augustus Burnham Shute in 1892.
* Ethically Sourced. We only use shells that have washed up on beaches naturally. Their former inhabitants have moved out. We never kill or harm any animals to get their shells. We also donate a portion of our proceeds to The Marine Fish Conservation Network as a way of giving back for the abundance and beauty our oceans so generously provide.
* These usually ship within 1-3 days and arrive ready for gifting in a cute boho gift box. A gift note can be included upon request and we can ship direct to the recipient- no receipt included.
* Please keep in mind that each shell is unique and was once home to a little animal. Any 'imperfections' in the shell should be seen as a badge of honor of this creature's journey from the deep to your door. The pictures are examples of the patterns only. Your shell will be 100% one-of-a -kind and the only one on the planet that will look exactly like yours. These gorgeous shells, collected from along the Atlantic coast, have been artfully transformed into lovely objets d'art and function wonderfully as ring or trinket dishes and would make excellent hostess gifts or birthday presents. Each one is handmade and consists of multiple layers of pearly or white base, thin layers of paper, and multiple coats of high gloss waterproof lacquer finish. The finishing touch is a fine edging in liquid gold leaf. These have the look and feel of porcelain and the gold really shines. The back of the shell is left natural to highlight the delicate edging of the gold leaf paint. The shell fronts are coated with a waterproof protective lacquer but please don't submerge them in water or leave them exposed to water for extended periods of time. The back of the shells are still porous and will absorb water.